Australian Embassy
Cabo Verde, Sao Tome and Principe, Guinea Bissau

How to complete the PC8

How to complete the PC8 Overseas Application Form

The PC8 application must be completed in full using black ink pen.



All applicants must provide either an Australian Citizenship Certificate or full Australian Birth Certificate (neither an extract nor a commemorative certificate are acceptable) to prove Australian citizenship.

  • If you were born in Australia before 20 August 1986, your full birth certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages (RBDM) will be sufficient to confirm your Australian citizenship, provided your parents were not in Australia as foreign diplomats or consular officers at the time of your birth.
  • If you were born in Australia after 20 August 1986, you must present your full birth certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages (RBDM) and also provide one of the following documents:
  1. Your Australian passport issued on/after 1 January 2000 that was valid for 2 years or more; or
  2. One parent's original full birth certificate issued by the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages (RBDM) before 20 August 1986; or
  3. One parent's Australian passport issued on/after 20 August 1986 that was valid for at least two years and at the time of your birth; or
  4. One parent's original Australian citizenship certificate detailing their acquisition of citizenship before your birth.

If your parent was also born in Australia on/after 20 August 1986, you will need to provide their full birth certificate issued by RBDM plus a grandparent's Australian birth certificate issued by an Australian RBDM or their Australian citizenship certificate.

If you were born in Australia on/after 20 August 1986 and one of your parents was an Australian permanent resident, you can provide an Evidence of Australian Citizenship with a citizenship certificate issued by the Department of Home Affairs.  You will be required to complete an Application for Evidence of Australian Citizenship form - Form 119. The form can be downloaded at

You can no longer provide one of your parent's foreign passport with their Australian permanent residency visa. It is an Australian requirement to present an Evidence of Australian Citizenship certificate issued by the Department of Home Affairs.


For further information to confirm your Australian citizenship, please click here


Note:  Children born to Australian citizens outside of Australia, including in Portugal, must acquire Australian citizenship by descent before applying for a passport.  You cannot lodge a passport application at the same time as a citizenship application.  For further information on becoming an Australian citizen by descent, please click here

For any other additional information, please contact the Department of Home Affairs by calling +61 2 6196 0196, Monday – Friday, from 9am – 5pm (mainland Portugal time).


PROVING YOUR GENDER AND PLACE OF BIRTH – for applicants born overseas only

If you were born overseas, please check your citizenship certificate to see if it lists your gender and place of birth. If the certificate does not list your gender AND place of birth, then you will also need to provide your foreign birth certificate (with an official translation into English or the International version issued by the Portuguese authorities).

If you do not have a foreign birth certificate, please provide your current or expired foreign passport to prove your gender and place of birth (for adults only).

Note: your previous Australian passport cannot be used for this purpose.



If you have changed your name since birth or citizenship, you must provide one of the following:

If you were born in Australia – a revised birth certificate, marriage certificate or name change certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the Australian State/Territory where you were born or married.  Foreign marriage certificates are not acceptable for name change purposes.

If you were born overseas – a revised birth certificate, marriage certificate or name change certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Australia.

OR – an official name change document issued by the equivalent overseas authority.  This includes official marriage certificates, death certificates, divorce decrees or court orders for change of name.  You must also complete a B11 statement to state your country of residence, how long you have lived here and that you are no longer a resident of Australia.

Special note regarding marriage certificates: If you were born outside Australia and are changing your name due to marriage, please note that we can only accept official certificates issued by the State/Territory or country where you were married, not by the marriage celebrant.  Please check your certificate carefully to ensure it is not the ceremonial certificate you received on the day of the ceremony.  Additionally, marriage certificates can only be used to evidence a change in your surname.  If you wish to add/change your given names, you will need to provide separate name change document in addition to your marriage certificate.

NOTE:  If you change your surname by marriage, divorce, entering into or ceasing to be in a registered or de facto relationship, the death of a spouse or partner, or as a result of transitioning to another gender and if you have more than two years validity remaining on your Australian passport, you may apply for a gratis replacement of the passport that was valid when the event leading to this change occurred.  The replacement passport will be issued in your new surname and will have the same expiry date as the current passport.  You are no longer required to lodge your application within 12 months of the event to qualify for a gratis replacement.


Please check your child’s birth certificate carefully to see how both parents’ names are recorded on the certificate. If either parent is currently using a different name to what is recorded on the birth certificate, that parent must provide a name change document to explain the difference – eg. marriage certificate, death certificate, divorce decree or court order. 


Please remember that all declarations must be signed and dated. You must also ensure that signatures and dates have no alterations, no corrections and no white-out. Signatures must be within the white boxes on the form including the white box of section 18 - signature to go on your passport - (all signed in black ink pen).


Australian passport photos are different to Portuguese standard size photos. You should check your photos carefully before submitting them with your application. Please pay close attention to the following:

  • the size of your head must be between 32mm and 36 mm from the top of your head (not hair) to the tip of your chin.
  • Your mouth should be closed and your face should have a neutral expression (no smiling and no teeth showing).
  • The edges of your face should be visible and your eyes cannot be obscured by glasses frames or your hair.
  • Please make sure there is no flash reflection on your glasses (it is easier to take your glasses off for the photo).
  • Your photo should also have good lighting, no shadows and no red eye.
  • Photos must be sharp and of high quality.
  • Click here for further information on photos

Your Guarantor/Referee must endorse one photo as follows: “This is a true photo of the applicant’s full name”, and then sign it below.

Please note that the guarantor’s signature at the back of the applicant’s photo must be the same as per section 11 of the form. The Embassy will not accept an application where the guarantor has signed fully on section 11 and then just initialled at the back of the applicant\'s photograph.

Avoid using paper clips or staples to attach photos to the form as this may make them unusable.


Original identification must be provided with all applications. Photocopies or certified copies by the Portuguese Notary or Portuguese lawyers are not accepted.

FOR ADULT APPLICATIONS – please refer to the instructions on page 2 of the application form for a list of what ID is acceptable. You will need to supply ID that meets one of the combinations listed.

FOR CHILD APPLICATIONS – A valid and original personal identity document and an original document confirming the lodging parent\'s current residential address must be presented as proof of identity.  





Normal processing time is up to fifteen (15) working days from the time your application is received, provided that all the required documentation and suitable photographs are submitted with the application.

If you have an urgent need to travel, sooner than 15 working days, please click here for further information.

Note: Processing of child applications without full parental consent can take upwards of 8 weeks.  Contact the Embassy if you cannot obtain parental consent from one of the parents.



All original documents, including your old (cancelled) passport will be returned at the interview. Damaged passports are not returned and will be destroyed by the Passport Office.