Book an appointment
How to obtain an Australian passport in Portugal
Child applicants aged 16 or 17 are now issued with a 10 year passport instead of the five year passport currently issued to minors under 16.
Applications must still include parental consent and the applicant must attend the interview along with the lodging parent.
The application fee is the same as for adults, reflecting the longer validity of the passport to be issued. The issue of a 10 year passport is not optional.
Please note the following procedures for applying or renewing an Australian passport overseas:
(1) Lodging in person at the Australian Embassy in Lisbon
If you fall under one of the following categories, you MUST lodge in person at the Australian Embassy in Lisbon. No exceptions will be made regardless of where you reside in Portugal. Please book an appointment for lodging your application.
- first time passport application
- child passports
- applications replacing lost/stolen passports
(2) Lodging your application by mail - FAQs
- renewal of adult passport applications ONLY using the PC7 form
Complete your application form online, print and bring it to your appointment OR send it by post to us if it is an adult renewal (PC7 form)
- How to apply
- What form do I need?
- Where to apply
- Applying by post – PC7 adult renewals ONLY
- Documents required
- Photos and suggested Lisbon photographers
- Translation of foreign documents
- Emergency Passport and Urgent Travel
- Checklists PC7 or PC8
- Instructions PC7 or PC8
- Processing times
- Passport fees
- Changing your name
- Urgent need to travel
- Reporting a lost or stolen passport
- Passport FAQs
Lodging a passport application in person at the embassy
All child passport applications must be lodged in person at the Embassy by a parent/person with parental responsibility for the child. A valid and original personal identity document of the person lodging the application must be presented as proof of identity. Minors under the age of 16 years are not required to attend the interview.
To arrange an interview, please book online.
ALL passport applications lodged overseas incur an additional overseas fee.
The Passport section at the Australian Embassy in Lisbon operates by appointments only:
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 09.00am-12 noon
The Embassy is closed on Public Holidays.
Waiting time to receive your passport
Plan ahead and don't leave your application for an Australian passport to the last minute. Allow a minimum of six weeks to renew or receive a new passport.
Visiting our offices during COVID-19
- If you are an Australian citizen requiring emergency consular assistance out of hours, please call the Consular Emergency Centre on 1300 555 135 (within Australia) or +61 2 6261 3305 (from overseas).
- You must have an appointment to visit the embassy. Please contact us if you experience any issues in securing an appointment by calling 21 310 1500 or email us ([email protected]).
- If you have a fever, cough or any COVID-19 symptoms, please reschedule your appointment. Please do not attend our offices if you are ill or if you have had recent exposure to someone who is ill.
- Please do not bring friends or family members to your appointment. If you are applying for a child passport, both parents are welcome to attend.
- You should arrive as close to your appointment time as possible.