Visiting our offices during COVID-19
- You must have an appointment to visit the embassy.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions appointments are currently available on Monday and Thursday. If you require an urgent appointment outside of these days, please call 21 310 1500 or email us.
- If you have a fever, cough or any COVID-19 symptoms, please reschedule your appointment. Please do not attend our offices if you are ill or if you have had recent exposure to someone who is ill.
- Please do not bring friends or family members to your appointment. If you are applying for a child passport, both parents are welcome to attend.
- Please arrive as close to your appointment time as possible.
- You must bring and wear a mask. We will ask you to remove your mask briefly to confirm your identity.
List of Australian Passport Fees
See list of passport fees for this month.
How to obtain an Australian passport in Portugal
Child applicants aged 16 or 17 are now issued with a 10 year passport instead of the five year passport currently issued to minors under 16.
Applications must still include parental consent and the applicant must attend the interview along with the lodging parent.
The application fee is the same as for adults, reflecting the longer validity of the passport to be issued. The issue of a 10 year passport is not optional.
Please note the following procedures for applying or renewing an Australian passport overseas:
(1) Passport applications, including renewal applications, MUST be lodged in person at the Australian Embassy in Lisbon. No exceptions will be made regardless of where you reside in Portugal. Please book an appointment for lodging your application.
Book an appointment
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Your questions answered here.
Complete your application form online prior to your appointment
Lodging a passport application
All child passport applications must be lodged in person at the Embassy by a parent/person with parental responsibility for the child. A valid and original personal identity document of the person lodging the application must be presented as proof of identity. Minors under the age of 16 years are not required to attend the interview.
ALL passport applications lodged overseas incur an additional overseas fee.
The additional overseas fee is as follows:
Adult (including senior) applications – AUD 134
Child applications – AUD 65
The fee does NOT apply to Emergency Passport applications.
The Passport section at the Australian Embassy in Lisbon operates by appointments only, as follows:
Monday to Friday, 10.00am-12 noon and 2.00pm-4.00 pm.
The Embassy is closed on Public Holidays.
To arrange an interview, please book online.
Which form do I need?
The suggested procedure for preparing your application form is as follows:
1. Find out what type of form you require: PC7 or PC8.
3. Read the photo guidelines. Australian passport photos are different to Portuguese standard passport photos so please check the information carefully before you submit your application. The Embassy recommends the following Lisbon photographers:
Rua do Poco dos Negros, 69
1200 – 038 LISBON
Tel: +351 21 390 8926
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 8.30am to 1pm and from 3pm to 6pm. Saturday 8.30am to 12pm. Closed Sundays and Public Holidays.
Av Fontes Pereira de Melo, 15-D
1050 – 115 LISBON
Tel: +351 21 314 4504
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 10am to 2.30pm and 3.30pm to 7pm. Closed Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.
Alternatively, should you wish to use a local photographer, please ensure the photographer follows the photo guidelines.
4. Complete your Australian Passport Application Form online at:
5. Print the completed application form. Please click here to read the instructions on how to print your application form. Sign within the signature box and date.
7. Payment methods.
Should you need further clarification on passport matters, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section.
Information to assist in preparing your passport application when lodging in Portugal:
Personal Identity Documents (PIDs) - Acceptable combinations of identification documents for adult PC8 applications
Passport fees (Euros only)
List of approved Guarantor/Referee (if non-Australians and for use with PC8 form only)
B-11 form – General statement by passport applicant – only to be used if requested by the Passport Office