Plan ahead and don't leave your application for an Australian passport to the last minute. Allow a minimum of six weeks to renew or receive a new passport.
Australian passport applications
If you are located in Portugal, Cabo Verde, Guinea-Bissau or São Tomé and Príncipe, please note the following options for applying or renewing an Australian passport overseas:
Lodging your application by mail
If you are renewing a full-validity adult passport (PC7 form), you are eligible to submit your application by mail.
To submit your application by mail, all of the following must be true:
- You are an adult (18 years or older), AND
- Your most recent passport was issued when you were 16 years or over on or after 01/01/2006, AND
- You are not changing any of your personal details on the passport, AND
- Your most recent passport is/was valid for over 2 years at the time of issue, AND
- Your most recent passport has not been reported lost/stolen AND
- You are successfully able to answer the security questions on the website.
Reporting a lost or stolen passport