Australian Embassy
Cabo Verde, Sao Tome and Principe, Guinea Bissau

Visas and migration

Information regarding Visas and Citizenship

What's new?

The Australian Government has announced it will enhance the way visa and citizenship services are delivered using the latest digital technologies. For more information visit the Department Immigration and Border Protection’s website.

Update on the Work and Holiday Program with Portugal

On 1 July 2017, the new Programme Year 2017/2018 will start for all Work and Holiday (subclass 462) Programmes.  This includes applications from clients in Poland, Portugal and Spain, for which the current Programme Year 2016/ 17 has already been filled.

Applications received before 1 July 2017 for programs which have already been closed for the 2016/17 program year (Poland, Spain and Portugal) will not meet legislative requirements and will be refused.

Clients from Hungary, Luxembourg, San Marino, Slovakia and Slovenia can continue to lodge their applications with government letters for the current Programme Year 2016/ 17 before the start of the new year in July 2017 as these five programmes still have places available and are not yet filled for this year. 

Please submit complete applications, i.e. completed application forms with valid payment and supporting documents in one single package.  Do not send any supporting documents (such as an English test results) ahead of your actual paper application or ahead of 1st July.  Once the new programme opens, Berlin will prioritise complete applications.

Applicants must submit their application by post to the street address of the Berlin Visa Office on or after 1st July 2017 (which falls on a Saturday). Please note that the Embassy is not open on weekends; therefore, the first applications will only be received on 3 July.

More information on the Work and Holiday program can be found at:

General Information

To enter Australia, you must have either an Australian Passport or a valid Australian Visa.

The Australian Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal does not process visa or citizenship applications. For clients resident in Portugal visa processing is undertaken electronically through the online ‘eVisa’ service, or by processing centres in Australia, or by an immigration office at an Australian Embassy.

You should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The Australian Border Force will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.

Planning a holiday in Australia?

If you hold a passport from the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland or Vatican City you can apply electronically free of charge for a visa to visit Australia for a holiday.

Holiday Visa Information

Visa and Citizenship Information

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection provides a website with information about Australian visas and citizenship. This information is available in English. This website contains comprehensive information about the range of visa products, eligibility, forms, fees and application procedures. For most visa types there are checklists and step-by-step guides to help you make your application.


Visa processing at an Immigration Office

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has offices in:

Berlin, Germany
London, United Kingdom 
Madrid, Spain
Vienna, Austria

Documents lodged at the Berlin office in languages other than English or German must be accompanied by an English translation. For further information on these requirements, please refer to the Berlin website:

Our immigration offices process the following visas:

  • Visitor visa (for passport holders who cannot apply online)
  • Working Holiday Maker visas (for passport holders who cannot apply online)
  • Work and Holiday Maker visas
  • Short Stay Business visas (for passport holders who cannot apply online)
  • Transit visa 
  • Student visa (for passport holders who cannot apply online)
  • Temporary Work visa
  • Resident Return visa
  • Partner Migration
  • Child Migration
  • Other Family Migration
Citizenship by Descent processing office in London, UK

The immigration office in London processes citizenship by descent applications for clients resident in Andorra, Ascension Island, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faeroe Islands, Falkland Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Saint Helena, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, Vatican City.

For further information please refer to the London website. 

Telephone and Email Enquiries

To ensure you have the quickest, most efficient service, we encourage you to use the information already available on our website. The vast majority of queries are addressed there and that is the most effective way for you to get the information you require.

Our website also contains a range of online tools that will help you find the information you need quickly and in line with your specified circumstances and needs. In some cases, you may be able to proceed directly to online application lodgement.

If you wish to speak to an officer in Portuguese you may call the Americas Service Centre on +1 613 238 1040, Monday to Friday from 3pm to 10pm (Lisbon local time).

If after accessing our website you have further questions or require additional information, you may wish to contact the Europe Service Centre (ESC) for assistance. The ESC is a multi-lingual client contact centre based in London which provides information about Australian visas and citizenship.

The easiest way to contact the ESC is to use our web based client enquiry form.

You may also contact the ESC by telephone. For further information on how to contact the Europe Service Centre, please click here.

At times, due to high call volumes, you may find it difficult to get through to the ESC. In such cases, we encourage clients to access the information required on our website. If, after consulting the website, you still require information, you may also use the online enquiry form.

If you contact the Australian Embassy in Lisbon by telephone or email with a visa and migration question you will be redirected to this webpage and as per the information provided above, if you have further questions, you will be asked to contact either the Americas Service Centre on +1 613 238 1040 or the Europe Service Centre in London on
+44 20 7420 3690.

Client Service and feedback

We value your compliments, complaints and suggestions to help us to provide better products and services. We seek client feedback in a number of ways, including through client satisfaction surveys, and direct feedback from clients. Please consult our Client Service Charter and Feedback form.

Tourist and short stay business visas

All non-Australian citizens, except New Zealand citizens, travelling to Australia require an electronic travel authority (ETA) or a visa.

If you wish to travel to Australia for tourism or short stay business purposes, you should choose one of the following visa options. Working is not permitted on those visa subclasses.

If you hold an ETA-eligible Passport, and wish to visit up to 3 months for tourism or business purposes, you can apply for an ETA through a travel agent or airline.

If you hold an eVisitor-eligible Passport, and wish to visit up to 3 months for tourism or business purposes, you can apply for an eVisitor on-line.

Transit visas

Most people transiting Australia to another country or passing through Australia to join a ship as crew must obtain a visa overseas before travelling to Australia.

Note: A transit visa is required even if a traveller remains on the same aircraft in the same airport.

The relevant visa is Transit Visa (subclass 771) and allows the holder to enter and remain in Australia for 72 hours.

Airlines and Air Crew

Information and requirements for airlines, and visa information for air crew, see Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Sea Travel

Information and entry requirements for the shipping industry, passengers and crew arriving by sea, please consult the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

The Maritime Crew Visa is replacing the Special Purpose Visa from 1 July 2007. For more information on how to apply, please see Department of Immigration and Border Protection.


Student visas 

Visitors to Australia who wish to attend a formal or informal course, which lasts for up to 3 months (for example: English language course, diving course, or computer course) can do so using a Visitor Visa or Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). You should be aware, however, that work is not permitted while holding a tourist visa, and that health formalities still apply.

If your course of study lasts for more than 3 months, or you are participating in a Secondary School Exchange (no matter how short) you need to apply for a Student Visa. Secondary School Exchange refers to official exchange programs registered with an Australian State Department of (School) Education.

Temporary residence visa options

Temporary residence visa options include:

• For invited academics to visit Australia to observe or participate in research projects, without remuneration other than a contribution towards living expenses and travel costs

• You wish to participate in a sporting event, perform as an artist or travel to Australia as a film maker, photographer or journalist.

• Investor retirement visa

• Special program visa

• Occupational trainee visa


Australian permanent residents 
Australian citizenship

All Australian Citizenship by Descent applications for people who are resident in Portugal should be lodged at the Australian High Commission in LONDON.

For further information about Citizenship by Descent, please click here.

For information on how to lodge your application in London, please click here.

Please note that all payment must be made in Pound Sterling. Information about payment options can be found here.

If you have specific enquiries, please click here

For general information on other citizenship matters, click here.


Migrating to Australia 

Skills-related Migration Visas

There are different visa options available for people who want to migrate to Australia and who have the required skills and qualifications. Please read the following overview.

Partner and Family Migration Visas

If you intend to stay in Australia permanently or if your personal circumstances require a permanent residence permit for Australia, you need to apply for a migration visa. Please read the following overview.

Other Information and Contact Details 

If you applied for an electronic visa, your application will be processed onshore. All eVisa services are provided by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in Australia.

Please use the following link to check your online visa status before you make any enquiries regarding your electronic visa application. You need to have your transaction reference number [for example: EGMN69SVX] and your passport ready.: EVisa Status Request

All other enquiries regarding online visas, should be made to the relevant helpdesks.


Electronic Tourist Visa 

If you need to contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, please use the: Visa Enquiry Form
Electronic Travel Authority

If you or your travel agent or airline encounters any problems with your ETA, you should send an e-mail with a scan or digital photo of the personal details\' page of your passport, your intended travel dates and the purpose of your travel as well as the error message that you received to the following address: ETA Helpdesk

Student visa

If you need to contact the Australian Border Force, please use the: Visa Enquiry Form

Temporary Long Stay Business Entry (subclass 457)

If you need to contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, please contact the relevant: Australian Business Centre

Locations and contact details for Australian Offices, Overseas Offices, Australian Business Centres, Australian Processing Centres.

Visa Evidencing

If you have applied online for a tourist visa, working holiday maker visa or student visa, you do not need a visa label.

If you have obtained an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) from a travel agent or airline, you will not receive a visa label. The visa is stored electronically.

If you have received written notification from another Australian Border Force office that your visa has been granted and that you need to obtain a visa label in your passport, you should send your passport together with a copy of the letter that you received to. Please see How to have a visa label transferred into your passport.


Other Information

Forms and information booklets

Service Standards for Processing Times

Contact details for panel doctors and radiologists in Portugal

Forms 26 (medical examination) and 160 (chest x-ray)

List of sworn translators

Processing fees and accepted methods of payment